Ham, Swiss Chard & Swiss Cheese Polenta Bake
Similar to a layered lasagna, this polenta casserole makes a hearty dinner that everyone will love.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Yields|
|20 Mins||50 Mins||Serves 6|
- 1 pkg (220 g) P’tit Québec Swiss Natural Cheese Slices
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) fine or medium-ground cornmeal
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 1 can (796 mL) crushed canned tomatoes
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, trimmed and chopped
- 8 slices ham
- Grease 9-inch (22 cm) square baking dish; set aside.
- In saucepan, bring 4 cups (1 L) water to boil; whisking constantly, gradually whisk in cornmeal (whisking will help eliminate any lumps from forming). Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, for 10 to 15 minutes or until polenta is thick and will mound on a spoon.
- Stir in butter, 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt, and red chili flakes. Spread half of the polenta in bottom of prepared baking dish; let cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, red pepper, garlic, thyme, remaining salt and pepper for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened. Stir in wine; bring to boil. Stir in tomatoes and Swiss chard; return to boil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Spread half of the tomato mixture over polenta in baking dish; layer half of the ham slices and half of the cheese slices over top. Repeat layers.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Substitute smoked turkey slices for ham if desired.
- To cut down preparation time, use instant polenta and cook according to package directions.